Monday, April 7, 2014

Finally, I am able to sit down and update.

(FYI: I am worn out and don't have the patience that I normally do to go back and fix punctuation, grammatical errors or run on sentences. I apologize ahead of time. ) This last month has been a doozy, let me tell you! I can honestly say that I have never felt as tired, worried, half crazed and at the same time grateful than I did for the last month. I will go back a bit so that those who don't know what was happening in this house for the last month will be up to speed.

Finn had his tonsils and adenoids removed on March 12th. Luke and I were both worried, mainly because he is so young and we were concerned about how he would do before, during and after. We also knew that it was the right decision because his tonsils and especially his adenoids were massive and were impeding on so many parts of his life. We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am and were taken back to surgery prep by 6 am. They asked if he was an anxious child and would be really upset when the nurse had to take him out of our arms and carry back to the OR. Luke and I laughed sarcastically and firmly said that yes, he is going to flip. So, they decided to give him an oral medication that basically turned him into a happy drunk. He laughed lazily at everything, couldn't walk or stand on his own and sleepily grinned when pretty nurses came in. They let us carry him to large double doors and then a nurse took him and wrapped him in a warm blanket in her arms. He sleepily reached out, said "no" and was gone. I, of course, lost it. I have friends and family whose children have gone through major illnesses and countless major surgeries, so it may seem like an overreaction. But, that was my baby. I didn't care that it was a minor procedure and that he was in good hands. He wasn't in my hands and that felt wrong.

Anyhow, the surgery only took about 20 minutes and the surgeon came out to tell us he was done and that Finn did great. He said that he tried to push the gas mask away but gave up quickly and was asleep in minutes. He did have to be poked twice to get an IV because he was blessed with his mama's elusive veins, (poor guy.) He told me that the anesthesiologist was going to be out soon to get us and that we made the right decision because he had never seen tonsils and adenoids that large in a three year old. He also told us that he would be admitted and moved to his room once he was stable enough in the recovery room. The anesthesiologist came out soon after and told us she was going to remove his breathing tube as soon as she went back there. She didn't get the chance though because a nurse came rushing out to tell her that Finn was awake and was trying to rip his tube out. We were taken back and were surprised to find three nurses holding a very angry, very confused Finn. He was gurgling fluid and blood and trying to scream and rip his IV out. I went to the bed, laid next to him and lightly held him against me and talked to him so he knew his mom was there. That calmed him down for a few minutes at a time but the confusion from the anesthesia and the pain in his throat would get him riled up again. They had to suction out a lot of blood and fluid and his O2 levels kept dropping so they finally called the surgeon and he ordered more of the "drunk" medicine to relax him so he could breathe. We were in the recovery room for a long time before he was comfortable letting him go to his room, but Finn finally relaxed and loved being wheeled across the hospital in his bed with mom with him and dad walking alongside. He kept saying, "wow, mom" and "cool."

The next few days went relatively well. We were actually able to take him that same night and Dietrich, though happy to be with Nana Jacki all day, was happy to see mom, dad and brother. The next few days, Finn was grumpy but took his medicine without a fuss and drank plenty of fluids. He kept asking for pizza and French fries, so I obliged by mushing up tiny bits of pizza and fries and letting him eat his special treats. We watched movies, slept next to each other and cuddled a lot, with tons of help from dad and Nana. Nana Jacki played with Dietrich, let me nap a couple times and kept my house in order. She was a Godsend. Unfortunately, she had to go back to OR that Sunday and this mama was back in charge!

That following Monday, I noticed Finn was breathless and getting winded quickly. When I put him to bed, I checked on him every few minutes and noticed his breathing was quick, shallow and his lips were turning white. I decided an ER visit was in order, (it was 11 in the evening) and when I came back with Finns' jacket, noticed he was panting like he had run a marathon and was barely breathing. I scooped him up and we were at the hospital in two minutes. He O2 levels were so low that the triage nurse yelled for a bed and doctor immediately and we were whisked back. After three Albuterol treatments, a Prednisone shot and an O2 mask, his level finally rose. A chest x ray revealed pneumonia from aspiration, (suspected blood and fluid from his surgery.) The doctor was prepared to admit him but allowed us to go home when he found out we lived very close to the hospital and I had another son that needed to be taken care of while Luke was at work. Finn was put on antibiotics and I was told to use his nebulizer as needed.

He seemed tired, but relaxed for the next couple days until Wednesday. In the middle of a nap, he stood up and threw up the entire contents of his stomach and then some until he was crying and dry heaving. I took him, (along with his hyper little brother), to the Urgent Care Clinic. After dealing with a quack of a doctor, (anyone who knows me, knows I hate confrontation and am very passive. However, on two hours of sleep a night, I became aggressive, grumpy and told that doctor where he could stick his attitude), I was told to give him more medicine and if he kept throwing up, to take him back to the ER. He then shut the room door in my face, muttering the whole way. He said all this without looking at my kid and while Finn was vomiting in a puke bag the whole time. I called my mom, and she told me she would come back down if I needed her. She ended up doing just that, when Finn woke up that night, throwing up until he almost passed out. The ER treated him for dehydration, told me they didn't know what it was and sent me home to ride it out. Thank God my mom arrived shortly after and again took care of Dietrich while I nursed Finn. That Friday, we discovered that the throwing up was the Flu because, while watching Frozen, Dietrich threw up all over me and didn't stop throwing up until the next day. Then, Luke began throwing up. 24 hours later, and I began feeling queasy. It was a blast, (insert sarcasm here.)

After two and a half weeks of breathing treatments, medications galore, puke buckets and doctors visits, Finn was finally on the mend. And he has mostly stayed that way. We had a minor setback this last weekend when he had an allergy/asthma attack on his already weak lungs and so his nebulizer has been pulled back out of storage for the time being. He is quickly recovering from that, however and is about 90% back to being Finn. Despite that roller coaster, I am so glad we did the surgery.  Finn is eating more and trying new foods, now that he can actually swallow. He isn't snoring, shows no signs of sleep apnea and sleeps quietly and soundly. His mood is so much more relaxed and happy go lucky. His speech, (along with help from his amazing speech therapist), has improved 100%. He is talking more than ever and we can actually understand him. I also want to add that he weighs 40 lbs and is 44 inches tall. :)
 
 

Now, I must fill everyone in on my ginger. Dietrich does. Not. Stop. Ever. That kid is moving, moving, moving from the moment he wakes, until the moment he is put to bed. He is loud, hyper, animated, sarcastic and goofy. He is always happy. Unlike his introverted brother, he talks to anyone and everyone and loves to narrate the day with one or two word anecdotes. He had his 18 month check up last week and is doing great. He is 34 1/2 inches tall and weighs just under 30 lbs. He is so big and stocky and masculine, (if you can use that word to describe a toddler.) He is definitely a mama's boy and will wake up in the middle of the night, yell "mom" and I will find him standing in his crib, holding his blanket, saying "up please." Sometimes I tell him no and lay him back down to go back to sleep, and he does. Other times, I pick him up, lay down with him and savor the snuggles that won't always be there. He is such a great, clumsy, loving, crazy little boy and he really does complete our family. We have Luke, my ambitious and aggressive leader of the pack. Then, there is me. I am the laid back, idealistic member. Next is Finn. Our introverted, passionate and contemplative three year old. And Dietrich. Our impulsive, extroverted and wild baby. I wouldn't trade any of them or any of their craziness for anything. They are all mine. And I am all theirs.

1 comment: